This is the best sugar cookie recipe in the world! No joke. They are soft, chewy, and oh so delicious. You could call my family sugar cookie snobs. We are constantly trying different sugar cookies and they are never as good as Aunt Denise's!
These sugar cookies remind me of my childhood. I remember almost every holiday we would decorate sugar cookies for parties. So remember these are not just Christmas cookies! They are Valentines cookies and Easter cookies and Halloween cookies, and the list goes on!
Just trust me on this one, they are AMAZING! Also, pro tip: roll 'em out thick and don't over bake them! Kloveyoubye.
½ cup shortening
½ cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
ICING recipe follows
1) In an electric stand mixer, cream together shortening, butter and sugar. Add in eggs, vanilla, and sour cream.
2) Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture.
3) Form dough into a ball and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
4) Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit. On a floured surface, roll out dough and cut out cookies (they should be about 1/2 inch thick).
5) Place cookies on nonstick baking sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until barely done (they shouldn't get brown! It's a sin to over bake these lovelies ;) Ice with cream cheese frosting found below and decorate with sprinkles! Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
2 cups powdered sugar (or more)
1 tablespoon cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
1) Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
2) Add powdered sugar, cream or milk, vanilla, and lemon juice.
3) Beat until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Recipe from my lovely Aunt Denise
I like that you decided to make these cookies to be colorful. I would like to know how they taste. I am sure that children will be impressed.ReplyDelete