We've been on a key lime kick these days. This pie is just so delicious and refreshing. After eating it a couple weeks ago I knew it needed to be posted asap!
Weston has requested that I make this pie everyday when he comes home from work in the summer. But I doubt my lime squeezing abilities would be able to last that long ;)
These three pies were for our neighbors, and it took about all the energy I could muster to not cut into one of them and have a bite (or maybe a very large slice) myself.
Also, shout out to Ellie my sister who had a dream that her patronus was a piece of pie. We are obviously related ;)
Key Lime Pie
For the Crust:
1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
5 Tablespoons butter, melted
For the Filling:
4 egg yolks
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 6 limes)
1 Tablespoon grated lime zest
1/2 cup whipped cream
*Extra whipped cream for serving
1) Preheat oven to 350° F.
2) Make the crust: In a medium sized bowl, melt butter then add graham cracker crumbs. Stir until combined. Press crumbs into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie dish. Cook for 8 minutes at 350° F.
3) Make the filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs yolks until thick. Add sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and whipped cream.
4) Pour filling in baked crust and place back in the oven (at 350° F) for 10 minutes. (Note: Pie will not be completely set after baking).
5) Let pie cool in the fridge before serving (to allow it to set completely and to be cold when serving).
6) Top with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and enjoy!