I am currently shoveling this wonderful cake into my mouth and thinking about the fact that I will be having the greatest morning tomorrow as I eat this for breakfast with some yummy hot cocoa (so healthy, am I right?).
Last weekend my friends got together to have a lunch date. Yes, we are already those old ladies getting together at soup and salad restaurants, hah! Well, my lovely friend Abby got some yummy cake for dessert and it reminded me of this Cinnamon Sugar Cake that my mom used to make when we were little. This cake is the perfect thing to eat after a delicious dinner or for a sweet breakfast early in the morning.
Cinnamon Sugar Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 3/4 cups sugar (2 for the cake and 3/4 for the topping)
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream (the original recipe calls for 2 cups sour cream but we usually substitute at least 1 cup of yogurt)
1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 cups pecans, chopped
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-inch bundt pan or spring form tube pan (that's what we use) and dust the inside with flour.
2. Cream together butter and 2 cups of the sugar. Add eggs, blending well, then the sour cream, yogurt and vanilla.
3. Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt).
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, and beat until just blended.
5. In a separate bowl, mix remaining 3/4 cup sugar with pecans and cinnamon.
6. Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Add remaining batter and top with the rest of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
7. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm. Enjoy!