How do you like your vegetables? Mmmmm... How about in a cake?! ;)
Can you believe it?! This cake has 2 cups of grated zucchini! You would never be able to guess by looking at it or even tasting it!
This chocolate zucchini cake has been a favorite in our family for years and years. At the end of every summer we always have a lot of extra zucchini from the garden. All of those recipes we throw the zucchini in get a little worn out (like our Vegetable and Rice Stir Fry). But this chocolate zucchini cake is always a winner because, well it doesn't really even taste like zucchini at all (which is the best part, right?!). You can trick all of those people into eating their veggies without them even knowing, just like my mother used to do! The zucchini in this cake helps it to be moist and fluffy, and boy does it work!
ANDDDD it's Dad approved ^^^, so we're all winning here, right?!
Chocolate Zucchini Sheet Cake
Serves about 12
Recipe modified from Epicurious
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2 1/2 medium zucchini)
1-2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1) Preheat oven to 325 ° Fahrenheit.
2) Butter and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan.
3) Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together.
4) Beat sugar, butter, and oil in a large bowl until well blended.
5) Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6) Beat in vanilla extract.
7) Mix dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions.
8) Mix in grated zucchini.
9) Pour batter into prepared pan.
10) Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts on top.
11) Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.