Say hello to our delicious Coconut Cream Pie. This pie is a family favorite and has made it's way into our list of must-have's for Thanksgiving (and Christmas) dinner! I think my family quite enjoyed the fact that I wanted to post this recipe before the holidays, which means they get to eat it twice. I'm not complaining either!
This coconut cream pie is so SO good! Sorry to shout but it's true! I'm seriously obsessed with it! One of the things (of the many) that I love about this pie is that yes, it has a pudding texture, but the flakes of coconut give it the perfect little crunch! Topping this pie with a dollop of whipped cream and a little dash of toasted coconut makes it a 10/10.
Want to add some toasted coconut to your pie? It's so easy! Just get about 1/4 a cup of coconut and spread it out on a baking sheet evenly. Toss it in the oven (we actually use our Breville Toaster Oven that we love) at 350° Fahrenheit. Every couple of minutes stir it with a spatula until it is golden brown (watch that it doesn't burn, it happens pretty fast). Ta da, that's it! Told ya it was easy! I hope you enjoy this pie as much as we do, I'm pretty dang sure you will!
3 cups milk, scaled (hot to the touch, tiny bubbles on the side)
8 Tablespoons flour
2/3 cup milk
4 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups shredded coconut
1, 9 inch baked pie shell
1) Scald 3 cups of milk (I do this in the microwave in a glass measuring cup, but you can do it on the stove too), pour scalded milk into a medium sized sauce pan.
2) In a small bowl, mix flour and 2/3 cup milk into a smooth paste and stir into scaled milk. Stir constantly on medium heat until thickened (it should boil a teeny bit, keep stirring until it's thick).
3) Turn off burner (leave your pot there), cover and let cook about 10 minutes.
4) In a small bowl, mix egg yolks with sugar and salt; add to hot milk mixture and cook 2 more minutes.
5) Add butter, vanilla and coconut. Remove from heat and cool.
6) Pour into a baked 9 inch pie shell. Place in fridge to cool and set (about 3 hours or longer, if you can wait that long hah, good luck). Top with toasted coconut (optional-see paragraph above to learn how to make this). Enjoy!
P.S. If you have extra filling... EAT IT! YUM. Kloveyoubye.