This flag cake is a tradition for our family. Every Fourth of July we make homemade ice cream and eat this cake after we have our family barbecue. The fourth would not be the same without this cake!
I am so thankful for this wonderful country we call America. It is truly amazing and I can't imagine living anywhere else. I'm also very thankful we can celebrate the Fourth so that we can eat this cake, because let's be honest here, it's amazing!
The great thing about this dessert is that it's simple, easy, and way WAY good. Plus, who doesn't like a cute patriotic dish to go with the party theme?! This cake's secret is that it's actually brownies. So I probably shouldn't call it cake, but that's what we call it in the family so that's what I decided to name it here. If you just want to make the brownies you can find them here> DOUBLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES.
I hope you enjoy this delicious flag cake as my family! I'm sure you will!
Fourth of July: Flag Cake
1 1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
4 Tablespoons milk
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (2 melted and 2 in batter)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1) Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit.
2) Prepare a 9 by 13 inch glass pan with cooking spray and/or parchment paper (parchment paper makes it super easy to take the entire sheet out of the pan).
3) In a medium sauce pan; combine sugar, butter, and milk. Heat on medium, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a small boil.
4) Remove pan from heat and add 2 cups of chocolate chips. Stir in chocolate chips until melted.
5) Let mixture cool and stir in eggs and vanilla.
6) Sift flour, soda, and salt, and stir into mixture.
7) Add remaining 2 cups of chocolate chips to batter.
8) Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (PS: try your best to not over cook them).
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
2 cups powdered sugar (or more)
1 tablespoon cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1) Beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
2) Add powdered sugar, cream or milk, and vanilla.
3) Beat until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4) Spread onto cooled cake and top with a square of blueberries and stripes of raspberries.