Red Velvet Cupcakes
Yield: 2 dozen
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs (room temp)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (room temp)
1 1/2 tablespoons red food coloring
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
2 cups powdered sugar (or more)
1 tablespoon cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line muffin pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs, oil, buttermilk, red food coloring, and vanilla until well combined. Add the flour mixture and mix until smooth, about a minute.
4. In a small bowl, mix together baking soda and vinegar. While the mixture is bubbling, add to the batter and mix well.
5. Using a large cookie scoop, fill cups 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan and transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make Cream Cheese Frosting: beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, cream or milk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Pipe (with a piping bag or a Ziplock) or spread onto cupcake tops. ENJOY!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know if you have any questions or comments!